It’s been a work in progress for a few months now. After moving into this house, we decided to make the little area off the side of our bedroom into a nursery. I have never had a designated spot for a nursery before. The last 4 babies slept in a pack and play next to our bed because there just was not room in our house. But now I have lots of space and creating a nursery was top of my list. Mostly because babies seem to grow so fast!
My goals were simple
1. Keep my budget low
2. Make it as girly as possible
3. Be creative in using what I already had
The walls were originally white. The carpet was a light blue with stains everywhere. Since we want to redo all the flooring in the house, but are not ready to start on that project yet, I decided to just rip out the blue carpet and paint the floor white with porch floor paint. There was a huge ridge in the middle of the room, so we sanded it down and leveled it with fix-all. I found some material that I liked that was a black and white damask with light pink accents, so I picked the paint colors to match. The walls are pink, the trim white, and the furniture black.
The crib was a gift from Eric’s Grandparents. The chair was from Eric’s sister when they redid their living room and it no longer matched. The changing table was free and originally white. And the armoire Eric made for me when Maryann was born.
I spray painted the changing table black. It seemed the easiest and fastest way to do it. I bought the rug on sale at Target and hand painted the armoire black. The floor took 3 coats of kilz primer and 2 coats of porch paint. There were big water stains on the floor that just kept creeping thru each coat of paint. (Another reason for the rug)
My favorite thing in the whole room is the wreath of flowers. I saw a picture of one in Pottery Barn and and loved it. So I dug through all my silk flowers and pulled out the ones I liked. I found a grapevine wreath at the dollar store and wrapped it in some ribbon that I had. then I hot glued the flowers on. Last I attached the ribbons to hang it with.
I still need to hang some curtain rods that I will get the next time I am at IKEA. I have some black fabric for curtains that will just hang down to the floor on each side of the window. I also am going to paint the saying “The first man a girl falls in love with is her Daddy” above the changing table. And hang some more pictures and put a shelf on that wall too. I am also on the look out for some more baskets to put on the changing table shelves.
My total costs for the whole room were right at $300.00
the before…pulling op the carpet
we pulled the ironing board out of the wall and this is the armoire before paint
The children all came into paint their rocks while I painted the walls.
And the finished room…